Frustration prompts new MH370 mission
Posted on 01/24/19 6:23 PM
The wife of a man aboard Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 says contradictory information coming from the investigation into the plane’s disappearance has prompted a $US5 million reward for information leading to a breakthrough in the mystery.
More than three months have passed since the Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people aboard – including six Australians.
The Boeing 777 is believed to have crashed in the southern Indian Ocean, but an extensive search has turned up no sign of wreckage, leaving frustrated and anguished families of those aboard suspecting a cover-up.
The Reward MH370 campaign, to be financed via fundraising website Indiegogo, aims to raise at least $US5 million ($A5.41 million) “to encourage a whistleblower to come forward with information”.
On Monday, the website had just over $1500 in contributions.
Perth resident Danica Weeks, whose husband Paul was one of two New Zealanders aboard the ill-fated flight, said the lack of progress and contradictory information from the investigation to date had left families with with no choice but mount their own effort to find the plane.
“We have been cut off so many times at the gate that we’re just now having to take things into our own hands, think outside the box and just try and do something to find this plane,” Mrs Weeks told ABC radio.
Since the March 8 disappearance, there has been a frustrating lack of any real breakthrough in the search, with families having to contend with the false hope that comes with leads that don’t pan out.
Mrs Weeks has been left with no answers for her sons, three-year-old Lincoln and 13-month-old Jack.
It was revealed earlier this month that acoustic pings thought to be from MH370’s black boxes were not related to the aircraft.
“We just think someone knows something,” Mrs Weeks said.
Malaysia and Australia, which is leading the search far off its western coast, have promised that the hunt for the plane will continue.
An international team is now determining an expanded search zone of up to 60,000 square kilometres based on where the aircraft last communicated with an Inmarsat satellite.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau says the area off the Western Australian coast is where the plane is believed to have exhausted its fuel supply and crashed.
Australia has also released a request for tenders for a company to be engaged as a prime contractor and provide the expertise, equipment and vessels needed to carry out the deep-sea search from August.