Fulton upset after latest NRL concussion
Posted on 01/24/19 6:23 PM
Wests Tigers forward Liam Fulton thinks it’d be rough justice for the NRL to sit him out because of a concussion caused by Newcastle’s David Fa’alogo given the Knights forward won’t face the judiciary for his actions.
The Tigers and Fulton are far from impressed that Fa’alogo on Monday escaped charge from the match review committee for a stray elbow after a tackle which caused the veteran back rower to leave the field on Sunday with his fourth concussion from just six matches this year.
Tigers chief executive Grant Mayer took the extraordinary step of personally calling the NRL’s head of football Todd Greenberg after Sunday’s match to implore the panel to look at what they perceived to be an attack on Fulton’s head.
It’s understood the Newcastle Knights are upset at Mayer’s comments and refute any suggestion that one of their players would have deliberately attacked Fulton based on his history with concussion.
Although a player’s welfare and whether or not a tackle warrants a charge are two separate matters, Fulton is frustrated that he might be forced into another spell on the sidelines while the man he says injured him is free to play on.
“If Fa’alogo isn’t having any weeks out, I’m not having any weeks out. And the NRL can’t step in and do anything because they said there’s nothing in it and gave him no suspension,” Fulton told AAP.
“If they’re saying there’s nothing wrong with the tackle then there’s nothing wrong with the tackle and I’m right to play this week. There’s not much I can do about it. I’m laying on the ground and get an elbow to the face.”
The NRL’s chief medical officer Ron Muratore will contact the Tigers doctor this week to discuss Fulton’s health, however the NRL says it is confident the club will make the right call without it having to intervene.
Earlier this season, the NRL fined the Tigers $20,000 with $10,000 suspended for breaching the NRL’s concussion rules in letting Fulton play on despite showing concussion signs in a round five clash with Manly.
In regards to the latest incident, Fulton says he was left dazed but has full memory from the game.
The Tigers say they’ll continue to apply the strict duty of care they have shown with Fulton all season before a decision is made on whether he will face South Sydney on Friday night.
Fulton doesn’t feel his concussion problems have made him a target on the field, and isn’t considering sitting out for an extended period.
“No, I’ve had a couple of head tests over the last couple of weeks while I’ve had a back injury,” he said.
“And everything is fine. We’ve got a good club doctor.
“It’s just been a bit of an unfortunate year … but I’ll get through it, I’ll be right.”
In other judiciary news, Fa’alogo’s Newcastle teammate Kade Snowden is facing two weeks on the sidelines after receiving two separate careless high tackle charges.
An early guilty plea will see Canterbury forward Sam Kasiano escape suspension for a grade one charge for making dangerous contact with Daly Cherry-Evans while the Manly halfback was kicking.